The message of Fatima, the last remedy given to the world
Mary’s Immaculate Heart’s mediation
Fatima is the salvation of the world entrusted to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Indeed, the Angel had indicated the transition in the prayer of atonement that he taught the children in the Fall: they were to ask for the conversion of sinners through the infinite merit of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
On June 13, 1917, Our Lady told Lucy:
Jesus wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart. To whoever embraces this devotion, I promise salvation and these souls shall be dear to God, as flowers placed by me to adorn His throne.
That promise alone would suffice to embrace such a devotion! But what is the Immaculate Heart of Mary?
The Immaculate Heart of Mary
One must first understand the word “heart” in its biblical sense: it is not simply the physical organ, the “muscle”, or the place of all our feelings, but in a general sense it is the human soul with all its faculties.
“Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness” God said in Genesis (1,26). Immaculate in her conception, in loving correspondence with even the smallest inspirations of the Holy Spirit, Our Lady’s soul is the masterpiece, the perfect image of the Holy Trinity, and therefore the perfect model of creature.
In the prayer of the Mass of August 22nd, the Church is asking for us the grace to live according to the heart of God by celebrating the solemnity of Mary’s Immaculate Heart: “Ut ejusdem Immaculati Cordis festivitatem devota mente recolentes, secundum Cor tuum vivere valeamus.” The Church makes us understand here that the way to live according to the Heart of God is by imitation of Our Lady’s virtues.
To have a true devotion to the Heart of Mary is therefore, though her, with her, in her and for her1, to conform always more, with love, to the will of God at the present moment.
That is the devotion to Our Lady for all times. It is now important to understand which clarifications the Virgin Mary provides for today.
The Requests of Our Lady of Fatima
At Fatima, there were two sorts of requests: those addressed to all the faithful, and those meant for the Pope. Let us examine first the requests regarding all the faithful.
A. REQUESTS CONCERNING ALL THE FAITHFUL:
5 points, which can be reduced to 2:
1) Fulfillment of daily duty
Let us listen to Sister Lucy:
The most important thing is the fulfillment of daily duty, and offering these sacrifices to fulfilment of duty for poor sinners.
The secondary requests are the Rosary and the Scapular, and perhaps ever more specifically the things which those two devotions demand: prayerful meditation on the mysteries of the Rosary, and consecration to the Immaculate Heart 2.
Let us briefly explain these few points, and first what is the most important: fulfilment of daily duties.
Over and over again, during those precious hours I was in her company [says sister Lucy] Our Lady emphasized that it is the fulfillment of one’s daily duty, according to one’s state in life, and the sanctification of this effort in reparation for our sins and for the conversion of sinners, which is the primary condition for the turning back of the tide of evil which threatens today’s world 3.
The following words of Sister Lucy also show us that in today’s world, devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary – as well as devotion to the Sacred Heart- is meant for reparation:
In front of the palm of Our Lady’s right hand was a heart encircled by thorns which pierced it. We understood that this was the Immaculate Heart of Mary, outraged by the sins of humanity, and seeking reparation. (apparition of June 13, 1917)
Today, times are bad. Sins have become like a wave submerging the world and, since Our Lord, the number of souls being damned has never been so great: that is why Our Lady showed the children Hell on July 13.
The Blessed Virgin Mary invites us to save souls by offering the sacrifices necessary for the accomplishment of our daily duties to her Immaculate Heart, first for our own sins – let’s not forget this! – and for the conversion of sinners. That is how we will bring back to God the modern man who doesn’t fulfill his duties towards God, towards himself, or towards his neighbor, because he only thinks about claiming his own rights.
Every day, when we get up, we could recite the prayer taught by Our Lady on July 13:
O Jesus, it is for the love of you, for the conversion of sinners, and in reparation for the sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
That morning consecration will affect all our actions of the day, becoming thus offerings in reparation for the Immaculate Heart of Mary, even if we don’t think about it at the time. But it is also good, of course, to renew this offering during the day as an aspiration, especially whenever a sacrifice is to be offered.
2) Consecration to Our Lady
This offering of all our actions comes back to and leads to the consecration of our life to Our Lord through the Virgin Mary. It’s the spiritual oblation, the interior sacrifice, shown by the exterior practice of virtues. We have already spoken of this in connection with the apparitions of the angel – from the summer of 1916 – and which is now being fulfilled by the mediation of Our Lady.
3) The wearing of the scapular of Mount Carmel
In the spirit of Fatima, the scapular which the three children were shown by Our Lady on 13th October, while the crowd was seeing the miracle of the sun, this scapular is both the sign of our consecration to Mary, and a pledge of her very special protection.
4) Daily recitation of the Rosary
The main means given by Our Lady to accomplish this ideal is the Rosary.
Sister Lucy continues :
But (The Virgin Mary) also stressed that the Rosary is indeed important, because it is one of Our Lady’s principal aids given to us to facilitate the sanctification of our daily duty4.
Let us remember here that in his Encyclical Laetitiae Sanctae, Pope Leo XIII saw the Rosary as the best remedy to the present evils in society:
The distaste for a simple and laborious life can be remedied by meditating on the joyful mysteries. (…)
Repugnance to suffering of any kind is healed by meditating on the sorrowful mysteries which teach us patience. (…)
And finally, the forgetfulness of future rewards can be remedied by meditating on the glorious mysteries5.
The Rosary is therefore the most effective means of escaping the indoctrination and conditioning of our spirits organized by the globalists.
Moreover, the request to say the Rosary every day is so important to the Virgin Mary that she keeps coming back to it – like a refrain – in every one of her apparitions from May to October 1917, and on 13th October, when she had promised to tell us her name, she called herself ‘Our Lady of he Rosary’.
In the recitation of the Rosary it is of course a matter of keeping oneself in the presence of Our Lady, and of meditating or contemplating the different mysteries one after the other. It might be helpful to use some of the numerous little Rosary meditation booklets which are available to us for this purpose.
5) Communion in reparation on the five first Saturdays
This life of reparation to which Our Lady calls all of us should culminate in Eucharistic communion – let’s remember the apparition of the Angel of Portugal in Autumn 1916, and let’s think of the magnificent Trinitarian vision at Tuy in 1929 (13 June), which sums up the whole spirituality of Fatima.
It’s the communion of reparation of the five first Saturdays of the month, announced on 13th July6, and which Our Lady also came to ask for at Pontevedra on 10th December 1925:
I promise to assist at the moment of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months shall receive the sacrament of Confession, receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary, and keep Me company for fifteen minutes while meditating on the fifteen mysteries of the Rosary, with the intention of making reparation to My Immaculate Heart7.
If the purpose of the preceding requests was the reparation of all sins in general, and to obtain in this way the conversion of sinners, the goal of the devotion of the five first Saturdays is to make reparation for the sins committed especially against the Immaculate Heart of Mary and to save those who committed these sins.
Let us quote here brother Francis of Mary of the Angels:
Ever since God decided to show his design of love, which is to give out his graces to men through the mediation of the Immaculate Virgin, it seems that their refusal to willingly submit to this wish has been the fault which especially wounds His heart, and for which he no longer finds in himself any inclination to forgive. That sin seems to be irremissible; ‘It is a sin that the Gospels call the sin against the Holy Ghost,’says sister Lucy8, ‘A sin that will not be remitted in this world or the next’ (Mt 12,31-32), for there is no crime more unpardonable for our Saviour than the scorning of His most holy Mother and outraging her Immaculate Heart which is the sanctuary of the Holy Ghost9.
And so the Virgin Mary, who is the Queen of Mercy, being unable to bear that souls should be damned because of sins committed against her, has obtained from her Son that this little practice may obtain the saving of many of these souls:
That is the reason why the Immaculate Heart of Mary has inspired Me to ask for this little reparation, says Our Lord; and in consideration of this, to evoke my Mercy to forgive those souls that have had the misfortune of offending her10.
Our Lord will bring to it several precisions, and in the first place, confession can be anticipated:
Confession within eight days is valid, and even beyond that, provided that souls are in a state of grace on the first Saturday when they receive me, and that, in this prior confession, they had the intention of thus making reparation to the Sacred heart of Mary.
Those who forget to formulate this intention, can do so at their next confession, taking advantage of their first opportunity to go to confession11.
The practice of this devotion will be equally acceptable on the Sunday following the first Saturday when priests, for just cause, allow it to souls12.
As to the reason for the number of five Saturdays, Our Lord explained to sister Lucy on 29th May 1930 in Tuy:
There are five kinds of offenses and blasphemies uttered against the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
1. Blasphemies against the Immaculate Conception,
2. Blasphemies against Her Virginity,
3. Blasphemies against Her divine Maternity,
4. The blasphemies of those who publicly seek to place in the hearts of children Indifference or scorn, or even hatred towards this Immaculate Mother,
5. The offenses of those who outrage Her directly in Her holy images13.
— Thus we now have the five key points of devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary in the spirit of Fatima:
- The fulfillment of our daily duties, offered to the Immaculate Heart of Mary in reparation for our sins and for the conversion of sinners;
- Consecration to Our Lady;
- Wearing the scapular as a sign of this consecration;
- Daily recitation of the Rosary;
- The communion of reparation on “Five First Saturdays”
— These five components can be brought down to two:
- Consecration of our whole life to the Immaculate Heart of Mary in reparation for sins in general, and to obtain the conversion of sinners;
- Communion of reparation on the First Saturdays, which is an expression of love towards Our Lady, in reparation especially for the sins committed against the Immaculate Heart, and to save this category of sinners whom the Queen of Mercy wishes (particularly) to snatch from the abyss.
B. REQUESTS OR OUR LADY OF FATIMA
ADDRESSED TO THE POPE
In May, 1930, when sister Lucy was in Tuy, she wrote to Fr. Goncalves:
The good Lord promises to end the persecution in Russia if the Holy Father deigns to make a solemn and public act of reparation, announces the consecration of Russia to the Most Holy Hearts of Jesus and Mary, and commands his bishops throughout the Catholic world to do likewise – with His Holiness promising, that in return for the end of this persecution, he will approve and recommend the practice of the devotion of reparation outlined above (the five First Saturdays)14.
The practice of the communion of reparation (the five First Saturdays) was not spread by the Popes, and the consecration of Russia has not been done yet.
The result has been not only the spreading of Russia’s errors throughout the entire world, with its millions of corpses, but the infiltration of the Church, which is certainly the greatest victory of communism: accomplished in two great waves of infiltration: under Pius XI and then under Pius XII with the Pax movement15; and then the seizing of power at the Second Vatican Council. The plan of the “Alta Vendita” denounced by Pius IX has thus been completed: a revolution in tiara and cope marching under the cross and [papal] banner16.
Our Lord had predicted:
Here lies, no doubt, the entire question of the Third Secret of Fatima : the present crisis in the Church must be seen within the framework of the apparitions of Fatima as the chastisement of the Church for not having responded to the requests of Our Lady.
And this must also guide our Marian piety today. True devotion to the Blessed Virgin must make us love and imitate her as she is. Archbishop Lefebvre stated:
The Virgin Mary is neither a liberal, nor a modernist, nor an ecumenist. She is allergic to all errors, and even more so to apostasy19.
Can we do something? YES! Sister Lucy tells us:
Russia will be converted when a sufficient number are offering their sacrifices and fulfilling Our Lady’s requests20.
This amounts to saying that the conversion of Russia will take place when a sufficient number of souls, in the eyes of God, have consecrated their entire lives to the Virgin Mary. It is this that will obtain the grace for the Pope to convert and to consecrate Russia, which will then unleash the triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Our Lady, and so also that of the Sacred Heart.
— I asked Our Lord why He would not convert Russia without the Holy Father making that consecration, wrote sister Lucy.
— Because I want My whole Church to acknowledge that consecration as a triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary,” Our Lord replied, so that it may defend her cult later on, and place devotion to this Immaculate Heart beside the devotion to My Sacred Heart21.
Should we see an announcement of this triumph in these words of Our Lady at La Salette?
Jesus Christ will be served, adored and glorified; Charity will flourish everywhere. The new kings will be the right arm of Holy Church, which will be strong, humble, pious, poor, zealous and imitative of the virtues of Jesus Christ. The Gospel will be preached everywhere, and men will make great strides in the faith, because there will be unity among Jesus Christ’s workers and men will live in the fear of God. This peace among men will be short-lived22 : 25 years of abundant harvests will make them forget that the sins of men are the cause of all the woes which happen on earth23.
As for us personally, united in devotion to the Sacred Heart, the devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary will allow us to reach salvation; and should difficult times come, we will come through and keep our souls, and even obtain the grace of martyrdom if necessary.
Personal Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary
composed by sister Lucy
Oh, Virgin Mary, Mother of God and our Mother. I consecrate myself entirely to your Immaculate Heart with all that I am and all that I possess.
Take me under your motherly protection, defend me against dangers, help me overcome temptations, watch over the purity of my body and my soul.
May your Immaculate Heart be my refuge and the path that leads me to God.
Give me the grace to pray and sacrifice myself for love of Jesus, for the conversion of sinners, and in reparation for the sins committed against your Immaculate Heart.
In entrusting myself to you, and in union with the Heart of your divine Son, I want to live for the Very Holy Trinity in whom I believe, whom I adore, in whom I hope, and whom I love. Amen!
- This doctrine is to be found in : A Treatise on the True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin, by saint Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort
- Excerpt from sister Lucy’s 1946 interview by John Haffert, a leading figure of The Blue Army, in The Brother and I, ch.27.
- Interview with sister Lucy by John Haffert, ibid, p. 17.
- Interview with sister Lucy by John Haffert, ibid, p. 17.
- Leo XIII’s Encyclical Letter Laetitiae Sanctae, 8th September 1893.
- « God will punish the world for its crimes, by means of war, famine, and persecutions of the Church and of the Holy Father. To prevent this, I shall come to ask for the consecration of Russia to my Immaculate Heart, and the Communion of reparation on the First Saturdays. »
- « What joy when the First Saturday comes!” exclaimed little Jacinta.
- Sister Lucy, interviewed by Father Fuentes, 1957.
- Br Francis of Mary of the Angels, Fatima, Intimate joy World event, Saint Parres-lès-Vaudes, Éditions de la Contre-Réforme catholique, 2nd edition, 1993, p159-160.
- Quoted by Br Francis of Mary of the Angels, ibid, p159.
- Our Lord’s words as quoted by sister Lucy in a letter to Canon Lopes, 15 Feb, 1926.
- Our lord’s words as quoted by Sister Lucy to Fr Gonçalves, her confessor, in a letter from 30 May 1930.
- Letter from sister Lucy to Fr Gonçalves, 12 June 1930.
- Sister Lucy, quoted by Br. Francis of Mary of the Angels, ibid., p. 199.
- We can refer to Sel de la Terre, no. 53 (Summer 2005): « Fatima Our Hope », article of Dominicus; « Did John Paul II consecrate Russia? », p. 63, note 3; article edited in a booklet by Editions du Sel entitled: « Russia will convert; Has the Consecration to the Immaculate Heart been accomplished? »
- Extract from the secret papers of the “Alta Vendita” of the Italian Carbonari (Freemasons), which fell into the hands of Pope Gregory XVI, and was then published by request of Pope Pius IX by Cretineau-Joly in his work The Roman Church and the Revolution. We can refer to Chapter 21 in the work by Msgr. Lefebvre They have Uncrowned Him, “The Conspiracy of the Alta Vendita,” Suresnes, Clovis, 2017. Also edited by Angelus Press.
- King Louis XIV, who didn’t consecrate France to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The result was the French Revolution, exactly one century after the requests of the Sacred Heart to saint Marguerite-Marie Alacoque.
- Words of Our Lord reported by sister Lucy in a letter to her bishop, August 29, 1931.
- Archbishop Lefebvre, Spiritual Journey (end of the chapter on the Blessed Virgin Mary). Book edited by Angelus Press.
- Remark by sister Lucy reported by John Haffert in his work “The Brother and I,” Ch. 27.
- Letter from sister Lucy to Fr. Gonçalves, May 18, 1936.
- July 13, 1917, Our Lady said: “A period of peace will be granted to the world.” In Our Lady’s message at La Salette, it is after this period that the Anti-Christ arrives.
- The Apparition of the Most Holy Virgin on the Mountain of La Salette, Saturday, September 19, 1846, Paris/Rome/Bruges, Saint Augustine Society, 1922. (Imprimatur of Fr. A. Lepidi O. P., Master of the Sacred Palace and permanent Assistant of the Congregation of the Index.)